Saturday, March 24, 2012

Media Use Diary


Initial Log








Old Media vs. New Media

Mass media is a term closely intertwined with the study of journalism. Moreso, the technological climate we live in, is changing the definitions of both journalism and mass media. Beth Lane, a freelance writer from New York wrote, “By definition, mass communication is a message created by a person or a group of people sent through a transmitting device (a medium) to a large audience or market.She continues by outlining that a clear definition of mass media is now unattainable. “The continuing explosion of digital communication technology is producing more than a little confusion on the subject. Developing new technology breeds new questions. Should cell phones be included in a definition of mass media? What about video and computer games? Is “World of Warcraft” a mass medium strictly speaking?” Communication is a forever-changing medium, and will continue to warp the very ideas that previously defined media. 

A clearer definition can be found by dividing mass media into two categories; old media and new media. Old media is the media that constituted before the digital revolution. ‘Old’ or ‘heritage’ media include:
  • ·     Newspapers
  • ·     Print magazines
  • ·     Radio
  • ·     Cable television
  • ·     Books
  • ·     Printing publications
The examples listed above are used to transmit mass communication; and therefore belong to the group called mass media.

New media really began with the introduction of Web 1.0. It is known as the ‘information’ web, and is very advertising friendly. A web 1.0 site is static and is not interactive.  Since the creation of Web 2.0, or the ‘social web’ we have seen a huge range of new media emerging. This includes:
  • ·      Facebook
  • ·      Online ‘news’
  • ·      MySpace
  • ·      Twitter
  • ·      Blogger
  • ·      Skype
  • ·      Flickr
  • ·      YouTube

New media is changing the rules of journalism. It’s moving the playing field to an open arena. 


Figure 1 reveals the media usage of JOUR1111, in both old media and new media. 56% of students use old media. Contrastingly, I only devote 28% of my time to old media. I believe that there are a number of reasons why this is.
  1. I’m originally from Grafton, in Northern New South Wales. I had to relocate to Brisbane for university. Such relocation is an economically draining process. (Believe me; my bank account is thirsty.) I have limited funds to spend on accessing media. Reading newspapers, and magazines is a costly hobby; so unfortunately, I’ve moved my media usage to online platforms… free platforms. Prior to my move, this media-use diary would tell a different story. I was privileged enough to come from a family that received three newspapers daily, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian, and The Daily Examiner (my local newspaper). ABC Radio National was forever blaring out of our ancient ‘wireless’, and watching the nightly news was ritual. Nowadays, I access my media through a laptop. Thank you Steve Jobs.
  2. Another reason for my digression to new media is that old news geographically limits you. I cannot (easily) access The Times, The News (my local newspaper in Hampshire, England, which I called home for 2011), or even the Daily Examiner anymore. 
  3. New media is active. It involves a process called ‘prod-usage’ (Axel Bruns, QUT). It allows for communication to flow two ways. Not only are we users, but we produce media to, i.e. blogs. Opinions are immediate; not a week later. This is another reason why I prefer new media. 




56% of JOUR1111 prefer to access news via old media. This figure has a direct correlation with the exposure students had to Twitter and the blogosphere.


As pictured in Figure 3, only 29% of students were familiar with the social platform, Twitter. Similarly, only 37% of students had prior knowledge in the workings of a blog. This is why so many students, 56% to be exact, prefer to use old media. Old media is familiar and understandable.

The real question is, will the distinction between old and new media last? Will new media swamp its predecessor with its ability to be modified, instant and interactive? I guess only time will tell!



News Sources


Each individual sources news from a variety of different media. One might choose a particular source for a number of different reasons including; reliability, credibility, speed, availability, analysis, choice, and opinions. These are major factors, which are ultimately steering the direction of the world of journalism.

The pulse of social media is creating a new face of communication, or should I say, micro-communication. Social media sources, including Twitter and Facebook attract numerous customers who are enticed by the accessibility, and speed of broadcast. As visible in Figure 5, social media accounts for 24% of JOUR1111’s news sources. Historically, this is huge. Twenty years ago, the graph above would paint a very different picture. I, on the other hand, do not use Facebook as a news source, unlike the 17% of students enrolled in JOUR1111, visible in Figure 6. For me, Facebook is purely a social platform. As a recent addition to the Twitter world, I have begun using it as a source of news. The short snippets of information are attractive, but offer no analysis or opinion. I believe great journalism is deep-rooted in an opinion. This is why I prefer to opt for news source that allows such analysis, such as online ‘newspapers’ and television.

Social media, however, offers instant availability. This is because of the smart phone. I access Twitter while on the move. Whether I’m on the bus, or waiting for the doctors appointment, it gives me a platform to interact with the news in a rapid way.

The survey performed by JOUR1111 shows that 65% of students source news from newspapers, an online platform, and the television. Similarly, 85% of my media was sourced from these platforms. Newspaper, both printed and electronic, and television offer analysis. They offer perspective. They offer opinions.

My relationship with news is a direct reflection of my love of opinions. This is why I will always choose newspaper over social media. Similarly to my JOUR1111 class, I am drawn to social media for micro-communication. This allows for immediate availability; which goes hand in hand with smart-phones.




The Wonderful Wounded World Wide Web

The World Wide Web is wonderful; it truly is. It’s gives us communication, connection, diversity, expression, entertainment, and great things like thisthis and this. However, such wonderful things can act as distractions. They could be seen as unnecessary. This leads me to the question; what do we do with our time online? For the answer, refer to the two graphs below. 





Academic study, and Facebook predominantly occupy my media usage, as seen in Figure 8. Contrastingly, the students of JOUR1111 spread their time out between shopping, news websites, study and Facebook. These two figures show very different results.

My online interaction is predominantly focused around two mediums; study and social media. (I feel it necessary to point out, that as a Journalism student, much of my academic study involves interacting with the news. When I search online news sites, for academic purposes it very different to the time I seek online websites separately. The latter in for entertainment.) These two mediums are completely different. For me, Facebook is solely a social medium. I use it for communication.

Radio news is used by 9% of JOUR111 students, while it takes up less than 1% of my Internet time. I’ve always found it hard to interact with radio, as a medium. I don’t own a digital radio, and no longer have my car available (which acted as my transportable radio). This discrepancy is due to the changing conditions in which I'm living. 


My name is Harriet, and I’m an Internet-aholic




According to ‘SurveyMonkey’, the average Internet usage is between 1 and 4 hours. I wish I could say the same for me. My relationship with online journalism is a good one. You could even say we’re dating. I spend *insert drumroll* a whopping 9.4 hours, on average, per day, on the Internet. Yes, you read that correctly.
9.4 hours of daily internet usage. 
I had no idea I was so reliant upon the net! I’m flabbergasted and ashamed all at once!

My colossal Internet usage occurs for a number of reasons. (This is the point where I try and justify such a ridiculous statistic. Your job is to sit there, smile sweetly, and believe every word I tell you).
Justification Number 1
As previously mentioned, my living arrangements no longer provide me with newspapers or magazines. Because of this, I have been drawn to the free and unlimited medium of online news.
Justification Number 2
In 2011 I lived in Wickham, England, about 80 miles South of London. I travelled to twenty-two countries, and met some amazing people. Facebook, or social media in general, allow for me to stay in touch with many of these friends. Social media doesn’t care about time differences, and doesn’t cost a cent. This is another reason why my Internet usage totals the embarrassing number of 9.4 hours a day.

I am not alone in my behaviour. I am part of a wider pattern of media usage that is turning towards online sources. We live in times where money is tight. Prior to the technology boom, newspapers served as a prime news source. Nowadays, they are suffering. I hate to think that my actions are damaging traditional journalism, but it’s just so hard to avoid it. Newspapers are unfortunately, attracting less and less revenue. This demise is a direct reaction to the increase in the use of new media. I am not alone. This graph was created by Crickey, an independent journalism site.



Such statistics are worrying, but as our world moves into a technological medium, these are changes are unavoidable.

My 9.4 hours of daily Internet usage grants me with;
  • ·      Education
  • ·      News
  • ·      Social communication
  • ·      TV programs
  • ·      Music
  • ·      Dance Classes (I obtain from YouTube)
  • ·      Live Interviews

Old media cannot do this. Australia’s movement towards new technology is inevitable. It's waiting for us. It's waiting for you. 




The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.



Right now, with social networks and other tools on the Internet, all of these 500 million people have a way to say what they're thinking and have their voice be heard.



There is so much media now with the Internet and people, and so easy and so cheap to start a newspaper or start a magazine, there's just millions of voices and people want to be heard.



Conclusion


The results retrieved from my personal media diary came as a to surprise me. My high usage of Facebook and the Internet in general did not surprise me, but the mediums in which my news sourcing originated from did. I considered myself a romantic… a lover of folding pages, crunching newspapers, and good old fashion television. How wrong I was. Turns out I am, in fact, a product of my generation.


My key news sources are the television and the Internet. Before February 2012, I hadn’t owned a television in nearly two years. Prior to that, I wouldn’t have watched an hour of TV in a week. I vividly remember being bullied in primary school because I didn’t know what an ‘ad’ was. (Yes, I was born into a family of ABC lovers). Maybe my obsession with ABC News 24 will be short-lived, but for the time being, it’s serving my news on a platter.

The Internet is serving as another key news source. This is not surprising. Incredible accessibility, speed of broadcast, and the ability for interaction are just all too attractive. And besides, student living doesn’t factor in the price of a daily newspaper. The role of online communication and journalism is an important factor in the industry. Its abilities greatly outweigh that of it’s predecessor, and in time, may become the sole force behind journalism.

Societies interaction with ‘old media’ is decreasing. Newspapers are feeling the pressure of technology. However, with the domination of the ‘online’ world, journalists must strive to uphold the difference between news and entertainment.

What surprised me the most was the time I spend interacting with ‘media’. I spend, on average, 9.4 hours a day accessing communication, whether it be through blogs, Facebook, email, online forums, newspaper articles or podcasts. This number is enormous.

I’d always wondered whether journalism was for me. 9.4 hours of media usage a day, and I think I’ve found my answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment