Friday, March 16, 2012

This Day... 365 Days Ago

And its show day… After a few cider’s and reasonably late night, I woke up to one of the boarders, Freya serving me breakfast on bed; croissants, muesli, juice and tea. I did feel pampered. I thought to myself, I'm just like a real model, except a model wouldn't eat buttery croissants. Actually, a model wouldn't eat at all. Nevertheless, it was just delightful. The beautiful head matron, Donna was behind this. She's so lovely!


Following my breakfast, I quickly performed some final preparations (shaving my legs and plucking my eyebrows) and I was ready for rehearsal. Some clothes had arrived and we ready to be tried on. First was my dress for the 'Two Tribes' section, which was a ridiculously tight and short dress with a ballerina skirt. As my dresser (oh yes, did I mention that I had my own personal dresser!) zipped up the dress, she whispered to me to 'think skinny thoughts'. All I could think of was how I would kill for another croissant! 



Item number two was ‘Lady is a Tramp’, which involved our own black dresses, black gloves and black tights, while we showcased jewelry and hats. My hat was enormous and red, and had feathers in the shape of horns.  


Next on the rack was my dress for the 'Pretty Woman' section, which was meant to be clothes you would go shopping in. Unfortunately, the shop didn't have anything small enough to fit me (extreme self esteem boost) so I was put in a large red prom dress. 



Item number four was ‘Ski Sunday’. This involved ski jackets, boots, trousers, mittens and earmuffs. It was lots of fun! 


Next was ‘Nine to Five’ which showcased work wear. This was my quickest change of the lots. I had around 40 seconds to strip layers of skiwear off, and jump into a long polyester dress. It looked more like pajamas than work wear to me! 


Next outfit was the ‘Fancy Dress’ section. Within this song, I had two outfits. Firstly, I was a Dalmatian, walking the stage with Cruella de Ville. See below. Under this monstrosity of a costume hid my 197-‘s costume; a cute black and white dress, and lace up boots. All in all, lots of fun! 




Next was the section called ‘When will I be famous’? I wore a gorgeous white patterned dress! I absolutely loved it! If I had $650 lying around, I’d definitely make an investment in this number! 



Item number eight was the wedding section. I can say nothing other than meringue! Next was ‘Biology’, in which we wore groovy kind of dressers. 


Following this was ‘It’s Raining Men’, which we wore swimwear. I was placed in a blue and green floral bikini, with a tie around skirt. I felt very vulnerable walking around in this in front of my boss!  


Next was ‘License to Kill’. I was in an absolutely stunning navy blue dress, which was completely beaded and sequined. It was just stunning! 



And our last setion for the evening was ‘Jive Bunny’, which we modeled surf wear provided by Ripcurl. Finally, I felt at home!

At 530pm, following a rather light lunch, I headed downstairs to begin the makeover. All 12 female models stood in dressing gowns, and underwear, while the attractive Italian male hairdresser peered at our head. 'You' he muttered, while pointing in my direction, 'you, my sweetheart, will be my model. Hair dressers, watch and learn.' Following this rather awkward experience, I was sat down, and surrounded by the other 5 hairdressers in his team. All Italian. All beautiful.

While he casually sat me down, he began to massage my head and get a 'feel for my hair.' He did this for about 10 minutes. It was lovely, but rather awkward.

So there I sat. Being the model for the hair dressers, getting ready to model in a modeling show. So many models! It was a strange feeling! It was one of the first times that I had absolutely no control over my appearance. It's rather a vulnerable feeling.

After more head massage, he preceded to tease my hair until I looked like I had been electrocuted. Then, he swirled it into a big French roll. It was nice. Rather harsh. But model like, I guess.

Then it was makeup time. The result; nothing special. Mine was a lot darker than everyone else's, and I was told that this was because I have blonde hair, which itself makes no sense to me.

Anyway, after a quick trip up to my room, to both remove and re-apply some makeup, I was ready. We were ready about 3.5 hours before we actually performed. So in this time, quite a few bottles of wine were drunk. We were just taking the edge off, or so I was told to believe.

Hours later we were given the thumbs-up to get dressed. I thought skinny thoughts, and managed to be zipped into my dress with only minor skin lacerations. After dealing with some hyperventilation on Cyrene’s behalf, the show began. The lights swirled, the music pumped and intoxicated audience clapped. Before I knew it I had whirled in and out of 12 outfits, while revealing my bottom and breast to the 30 models, hair dressers, makeup artists and stage technicians. Those previous wines had come in handy. The show was an amazing success. Everyone enjoyed themselves, with no dramas or glitches. This success lies almost completely in the hands of Allison Hampshire, the brain, choreographer, publicist and chef of the evening.

Quickly we all jumped into our own ball gowns, and ran to the bar and then to the dance floor. The show didn't finish until midnight, so it only allowed us 2 more hours of music. I danced and danced with Donna and her gorgeous daughter Catherine, another one of the models. And before we knew it, it was 2am. I'd had a little too much to drink and wasn't yet ready for bed. So. Off to the after party we went. It was at the Deveree, a hotel in Wickham. It wasn't an official party, but many of us weren't yet keen for bed. There was Nic and her partner, Helen and her partner and sister, Kate and her husband and a few more who I dint know. Unfortunately, when we arrived, the bar was closed, so we headed off to Kate’s room instead. We drank champagne and laughed for hours! One man from the fashion show was showing particular interest in me, but I was a bit freaked our cause he looked about thirty. It was only until I arrived home at 430am did I realize who he was. He's England's version of Hamish and Andy. But 23. And single. I nearly died!

All in all, it was a tremendous night!


No comments:

Post a Comment